Twas the Night before Opening Night!

Really starting to FEEL IT. It's after midnight which means that my show is opening tomorrow!!

For some reason it doesn't feel real to me. Ahhh. This is my first full-scale production outside of community college so I'm kind of nervous.

I'm sitting here in my room doing my character development for the first time. I know, I know I really put this off but it has just gone so fast! I feel like we were just receiving our scripts a few days ago and now we're about to open.

I'm playing Sandra Haros, Sonja Sotomayor, Michelle Obama, Mummar Gaddafi, and Sheriff Joe's posse member. I'm really enjoying making each character their own. If you come to see my show you're going to witness a large array of acting for me. This show is really stretching me and my comfort zones.

ANYWAYS,  I guess since this is a Christian blog, I'm going to have speak about my lessons I've learned throughout the production... Now, I still have two weeks of shows so I'm sure I'll learn more before the end, but here is what I'm learning as of now.

1. I'm not in college anymore... the people who piss me off aren't just students who I can go tell on when they get annoying.
As a woman and an actor, the most difficult thing to control is my gossiping. It's so easy for me just to agree with someone when they mention something about another cast member. Especially if it's true! Something I'm really going to have to work on in this, and every production, is making sure my words are bringing life. I've gotten better at thinking before I speak, but there is still a long way to go. If you ever feel like you are starting to gossip about someone, try working a compliment about the person in and this can sometimes change the subject or get the conversation to a place where there isn't negativity being thrown around.

2. Every production matters. I think this is something that God has been teaching me this run. I seemed to have been allowing myself to walk into rehearsals late and slacking on getting my lines down because I was feeling like this production wasn't as prestigious as the others.

This is a lie that Satan has been beating into my head to get me away from working hard in the name of Christ. The bible tells us that if we use our gifts in His name that we will be greatly blessed and be given even more back! Satan wants to attack each one of your gifts so you don't receive what you were promised. Don't let him! Even though we open tomorrow night, I am going to use all of my gifts and training to really give you guys my best show! Make every project count :)

3. Lastly, Actors Obedience. This was the best name I could come up with, but basically: Do what the director tells you, when he tells you, and how he tells you without arguing. I have seen some of my cast members argue with our director and decide to do it their own way. This most certainly doesn't mean not to try new things. Try them! The director will never get mad at you for that. If he doesn't like it, then he will let you know.

You have to respect the fact that it is the directors image that we are trying to paint, and he hired you because he thought you could help him do that. If he's a complete idiot, then the production is going to be completely idiotic. This isn't really something I struggle with but I do at times catch myself arguing with his notes. One he gave me tonight was: Be sure to stay in character; there were sometimes when you would come out of it. I didn't recall coming out of character and felt that I had stayed focus the whole time, but at that point in time it was just best for me to stay quiet and say thank you.

Alright, that's all for now.
:)


Popular posts from this blog

That Funk

Success

Sometimes Callbacks take a while!