What is a Teaching Artist? 10 Questions about Teaching Artistry


Teaching artistry can sometimes mean different things to different people. Here are my options about it in the form of 10 questions!
...

Introduction:
It's been several years since I've posted on my actor's blog so I wanted to throw something up here and give a little update about myself.

I have lots of blogs on here and I have changed and grown so much since I last posted. I'm still pursuing theatre and the arts (and have been in the interim of posts).

I now tell people that my profession is Teaching Artistry and I usually get a lot of odd looks when I say this. So let me tell you what a teaching artist is!



1. What is a teaching artist? Quick Definition.

A teaching artist is an artist who participates in a craft and also teaches it. Some people participate in their craft mostly because they want to be better teachers. Some people are artists who decide to teach on the side. Others are right down the middle and love teaching and doing art themselves equally.

I tend to lean towards teaching artistry as my career, and I participate in the arts myself so I can be a better teacher.





2. What kind of art do teaching artists teach?


It could be ANY type of art: writing, dancing, pottery, or whatever you want!









3. Why not just call yourself a teacher? 


Lots of people do! They might also call themselves an instructor. Sometimes calling yourself a teacher gives people the visual that you're degreed and teach in a school setting even though there are so many settings in which teaching artistry can take place.





4. What degree do you need to be a teaching artist?

None! Sort of like there is no requirements to call yourself an artist, calling yourself a teaching artist is the same way. There are many teaching artists that do have degrees or certificates but they definitely aren't necessary.






5. Where do teaching artists work?

Teaching artists can work in a number of settings: schools, centers, studios, academies, online, or even a park. Wherever! They can also teach a number of ways. A teaching artist who teaches pottery might not just teach people to make pottery. They might use pottery as therapy, or to teach the art of friendship, or even use it to tell a story. Teaching artistry is so broad and extemporaneous. Some companies ask something very specific from a teaching artist, others might ask you to create something new and unique.




7. How often does a teaching artist work?

Many teaching artists are contractors, like me. They work for a number of places simultaneously doing many different things. They hop from project to project and their office is their car. Some teaching artists stay planted in one spot teaching the same thing every day. It's not uncommon for teaching artists to have another job outside of teaching artistry because contracted work can be so sporadic and unpredictable.




7. How do I hire a teaching artist? Where do I find them?

Post on job-search websites or try and find local art groups/pages on facebook. 

When someone interviews me for a job, here are questions that are important for me to have the answers to:
  • How do you pay? Hourly? Stipend? Salary?
  • Am I paid for prep?
    • A huge part of a teaching artist's job is to prepare for a lesson and make sure it goes smoothly, it's effective, and fits the length of the class. No matter how easy you think the class will be to teach, it almost ALWAYS requires preparation, research, gathering/purchasing of materials, and showing up early and staying late to get things ready. You are hiring this person based on their expertise and that includes prep. So either A) Tell them how much money in their pay is used towards prep, or B) Tell them how much time they can add to their timecards for prep a week or a day. 
      • ie: We're paying you $30 an hour, and $5 an hour is to compensate you for your prep.
      • or: We're paying you $25 an hour for class time, and $15 for prep, and you can use up to 2 hours of prep time a week. 
  • What are the ages of the people I'm working with?
  • How long is the class I'm teaching?
  • Am I expected to get there early or stay late?
  • Am I paid to stay late with children whose parents are running late?
  • Will you provide supplies or will I be reimbursed to purchase them?
  • Do I need a fingerprint clearance card?
  • Am I being paid as a contractor (no taxes are taken out and I'm responsible to pay myself at the end of the year) or am I being hired as an employee (taxes are taken out so I won't have to pay them myself at the end of the year)? Or am I being paid cash under the table for a one time gig?



8. How does a person become a teaching artist?


Get experience in your craft and find someplace to teach. Some teaching artists forge their own path. Maybe they start doing skits at their church and decide to get together with their friends to create something each week. Maybe a volunteer/intern at your local arts center or community theatre. You could start by heading something up at your student's school like a club or something. Get involved in your local arts community: attend plays, go to art shows, take a class. You'll start to brush elbows with people and get opportunities through those connections.


You don't have to be a professional or have an extensive background in your craft, but if you want to keep teaching you'll have to find a way to continue educating yourself on your craft. If you can't afford classes, watch youtube videos. Attend free workshops. Volunteer.



9. Why be a teaching artist?
Teaching isn't for everyone. It can be equally soul-sucking and life-enriching. But from my experience, seeing people grow not only as an artist but as a human being, is one of the most satisfying things to experience. I believe everyone has something to teach people, and so often you aren't only teaching your craft but you're sharing wisdom and philosophies as you do it.

If you're a person who doesn't like to work at a desk all day or it's hard for you to stay at one job for too long, being a contractor might be for you! The hourly pay is usually pretty good as long as you can get enough contracts for it to add up. There will be times of struggle but also times of abundance. Sometimes the number of different projects can feel overwhelming, but the beauty of it is that it changes so often that it always stays interesting.



10. Any other resources?
You can find a lot by just using a search engine. But you might want to check out Teaching Artist Guild!




What do you think? Do you agree/disagree? Did I miss anything? Do you have any questions? Leave your questions or opinions in the comments below!

Thanks for reading.




Popular posts from this blog

That Funk

Success

Sometimes Callbacks take a while!