Conflicts!

Just experienced my first "conflict" outside of school and it was for the FIRST REHEARSAL.

I wanted to start out without a blemish on my record with perfect attendance for American Pastorela: Mission to Mars and I have already failed.

Basically I was asked to play cello for the band Lovers & Fighters and this doesn't happen to often so I wanted to jump at the chance. But it would be overlapping with my first rehearsal for American. I did the right thing and spoke with the stage manager (on the phone, with our voices. Not over text) And he said it was fine. I even told him that I would have my cello with me and he said I could play for them.

So it was shaping up to be a nice night! I arrived at the venue early and practiced the song I would be playing for my cast. Set up. Sound check. Meet & Greet. Free tea... then we're just sitting around. I was told we would be playing at 710 and we would be completely finished by 730... well 720 rolls around and we're still chilling. I'm getting nervous because I told my stage manager I would be there at 745. I text him and tell him that it'll probably now be more like 8pm. (an hour late to rehearsal)

We play our set, we do GREAT (I'm always so impressed by Chris' singing) and I walk off the stage at 748 :(

There is no way I would make it there any earlier than 810. I'm rushing to pack my cello up and I check my phone and it's a text from my SM saying there was no need to come because they were almost finished :'( I tell him that I will for sure be there tomorrow and he said that all rehearsals were cancelled until Sunday.... so I feel pretty bad.


I'm writing this blog to discuss Choosing a Side. You're presented with two good choices and both have consequences as well. How do you chose what.

Here are some steps to answer this question:

1. As a Christian, the very first thing to ask is: Which is going to help further the Kingdom of God. (In my case, I believe playing with L&F would have paid off more in the long run.) (This question might require some deep prayer)

2. As a non-Christian you might want to ask yourself, which is going to get me to where I want to be the MOST. This answer might be that both. In that case you'll need to ask yourself the next question.

3. Which is going to get me in the most trouble? The answer might be both, but there is probably one that is going to hurt you more in the long run.

4. Which person do I need to impress the most? If it's a choice between your high school English teacher and Laura Durant, you might want to consider allowing yourself to impress the person who's going to get you farther.

5. If none of these questions help you find the right answer, ask yourself: Which do I want to do more.

6. Lastly and MOST IMPORTANTLY make sure you are very clear and forward with all parties involved. Tell them as soon as you can and make sure you don't exaggerate how early or how little it's going to affect your attendance.

Hope this helped a bit. I'll let you know what happens with American Pastorela :)

Popular posts from this blog

That Funk

Success

Sometimes Callbacks take a while!