Jungalbook Show

So I have been doing the Jungalbook by Edward Mast for about 2 months now. I really love how this company is being ran; they way they're doing it for one year they do one show. Every time an actor leaves the show, they recast the part. The show can be booked for basically any venue. So far we've done retirement centers, Boys & Girls Clubs, and day care centers. It's been a great learning experience targeting the audience.  It's a different feel between the ages because we're performing for the extremes, the young and the older.

I was originally cast as Baloo the bear, but I am now diving into playing Sherakhan the Tiger. This has really been an interesting lesson for me. They way we run rehearsals is that I play both parts in one run through. One second I'm a caring Mama-Bear type character, and the next I'm the evil and vicious antagonist of the play.

I've had to put a lot of effort into being "mean." Being a tall and broad woman with a resonating voice, it' assumed that my strong suit would be playing mean or bold. But neither of these are in my nature. After speaking to me, I've been described as strong, but also gentle and elegant. Which completely betrays my appearance. But playing both these roles has given me the opportunity to explore forward and blunt side of myself that I tend to surpress.

It has definitely been difficult. Nearly every time my director opens her mouth to give me a note, the next phrase that usually follows is "Bri, you need to be more mean."At times I slip into a sly, trickster, Zanni type character which can compromise the dynamic of the show. But after many hours spent growling infront of the mirror, I think I'm very close to capturing the heartless-ness of my character!



Popular posts from this blog

That Funk

Success

Sometimes Callbacks take a while!