That Funk

Honestly, I feel like it's too early in the game to be writing this type of blog, but I felt compelled to do it.

I am currently in a "funk". Nothing makes you doubt your acting abilities like not getting into a show... or several shows. I think, including this last show I just had a callback for, I have auditioned for six different shows in the past 2 months and have been cast in one.

Another thing that is difficult is comparing your journey to someone else's journey. Those of you who don't know, my best friend is a very talented actor named Nate. He has been acting for just over a year now (not including the acting class he took a few years ago) and he is already acting at Phoenix Theatre. (He's currently in Spamalot which you should totally go see!)

Well for me it's hard not to look at him and not feel like there is something wrong with me. I have had some training and have been doing this for a few years now so I feel like I should be somewhere higher.

Well I didn't just write this blog to complain but also encourage. Mostly I have my Faith to keep me going. I know that God would not bring me to it it he did not have plans to bring me through. (And if that actually is the case then I know that I'm better off). But there are definitely some things that I keep in mind and tell myself when I get into a situation that I'm in now.

1. Directors are looking for something S-P-E-C-I-F-I-C.
I was explaining this to a friend the other day. Let's say you're a casting director and you're looking to cast Dorothy for the Wizard of Oz. For this particular production, you've decided that you would like a girl with bushy blonde hair, to be 4'8", to weigh 180 pounds and to have a depressed attitude. If Judy Garland herself were to walk into that audition and give a superb audition, she would still not be cast because she did not fit the criteria.

This also can apply to things that aren't appearance. Perhaps a casting director is looking for someone to be a sarcastic Dracula, and you played it really evil. I know that these examples sound exaggerated but these situations are very common! There can be only ONE Dracula. If a casting director has 60 prospects for this part, they have the right to get as specific and exact as they wanted. Wouldn't you?

2. Some times your're in the WRONG place at the WRONG time, and other times you're in the RIGHT place at the RIGHT time.

For those of you who think that casting directors don't look at your resumé and take it into consideration when casting, you are WRONG. They want to look down and see companies they've heard of and people they know. It's kind of like when you see someone at the store who is great friends with your cousin; even if you try to suppress it you have this little fondess and bond with them.

By no means does that mean that if you have never done anything or have worked with other really obscure companies, you won't get cast. And it's the same the other way; you won't be guaranteed a part based off of your friends and past directors. But it could help.

Some points in your career you'll just end up at the right audition at the right time, and others will be a horrible and miserable wreck. IT HAPPENS.

3. Do you love what you do?

Probably the most important of points. My mother asked me this once; She told me the story of a famous actress, I forget which one now, but that she never made it to the big screen until she was in her 50's. That it took her several, several years to make it to the point where she could consider herself "successful". It was a super deep question for me. (Especially since I think I was in jr high at the time).

When you decided that you wanted to be an actor, you've basically decided that you are going to be a professional auditioner. Just like lawyers have to be good researchers, and teachers have to be good lesson planners. Those parts are not only vital to their job, but it basically is the job.

Yes, you must always be learning and growing in your acting, but you must also improve and sharpen your auditioning skills as well. IT'S YOUR JOB.


I hope I've encouraged anyone who is reading this. You must always be growing and advancing your "Actors Tool Box". A phrase I coined from Maren Maclean when I attended the Scottsdale Conservatory Theatre. Your Actors Toolbox (or just Toolbox) is anything that you learn that will help your acting and your career. Dance classes, voice lessons, seminars, stage combat training, accents, public speaking, a Shakespeare literature coarse, mask work, a cinema class, anything and everything!

Popular posts from this blog

Success

Sometimes Callbacks take a while!